On 2009/02/12 21:28, Jochen Keil <jochen.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with the code in my opinion is that there is a lot of C -
> style polymorphism with function pointers and some basic objects with
> structs.
> This is not meant to be criticism. Coming from a C++ background i just
> had a hard time reading the source. :)

We need more wrapper functions to make all that more readable.  Yes,
C++ solves that by providing you with a syntax.

> > How about: let a CUE file appear as a "virtual" directory, and each
> > sub-song is a "virtual" file within it.
>
> That's how the archive plugin does it as well if i'm not mislead.
> This is also the reason why i wouldn't "inherit" the flac plugin from
> the archive plugin:
> archive_lookup() from archive_api will break down any pathname.
> If i had a flac file with only a single track i wouldn't want it to be
> in a seperate virtual directory.
>
> I'd like to propose a new "container" plugin which could later
> eventually even handle matroska and other container formats.
> I think that's similiar to your "hybrid API" idea.

I suggest we just add some "container supporting function" to the
decoder API; if we feel it should be a separate API, we can split it
at any time.

> Talking about C++ would you be fine with that too?

Although I like C++ as a language, I have concerns against using it in
MPD - nothing technical, more subjective stuff.  A decision for C++
would have huge impacts, and it's a major platform decision.  I'd
prefer doing C only for now, until someone can definitely convince me
(or until I'm getting outvoted).