On 2009/03/16 15:22, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Kind of, except it doesn't need UPnD or DLNA, just a new command
> "download <file>".  I had sent a sample patch that provided this command
> a long time ago.  My implementation was purposefully naive, so that it
> could be used to download any file from the `music' subdirectories (and
> `playlist', tho this part is not needed any more now that we have
> listplaylistinfo), which I abused in my MPC.el client to also download
> files like "<dir>/cover.jpg".

I have two problems with that concept:

- big danger of security problems, of course.

- the MPD protocol is UTF-8/line based.  Shaking this fundamental
  concept of the protocol by allowing the switch to "binary" mode is
  something we should think twice about.  But maybe we can make this
  part of the HTTP server (move the httpd code into MPD core, and let
  the "httpd" output plugin mount itself as a special case)?

I understand that album cover management is an interesting feature
request for MPD.  I have been thinking about adding some sort of
"binary stickers" for images, lyrics, ...