> The thing is mainly that I belive this problem is better solved
> elsewhere.

The problem is that any other solution seems to involve more
configuration on the user's part: now the user needs not only to specify
how to access the MPD daemon, but also how to access the corresponding
sound files.

On the MPD side, it also means more configuration since you need to not
only setup MPD but also some file-sharing (which may even require more
priviledge than MPD).

In most cases, when I mention MPD as a possible solution to someone's
problems/needs, the answer I get is along the lines of "too complex to
setup".

This request is really not "add a network file system to MPD", since as
any implementer of such a beast knows, a network file system is mostly
dealing with caching/consistency/authorization/networkfailure/... none
of which matter here.

        Stefan