On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Kind of, except it doesn't need UPnD or DLNA, just a new command
> "download <file>".  I had sent a sample patch that provided this command
> a long time ago.  My implementation was purposefully naive, so that it
> could be used to download any file from the `music' subdirectories (and
> `playlist', tho this part is not needed any more now that we have
> listplaylistinfo), which I abused in my MPC.el client to also download
> files like "<dir>/cover.jpg".

Why in the hell would anyone want their music player to become a
network filesystem protocol? I hope this never comes to fruition and
would rail against it in every way that I possibly can. I'm glad
people like amarok but kitchen sink applications are nonsense and they
don't allow even decent user interfaces. MPDs protocol already is
large and in many ways senseless. Something to download anything in
music would be disgusting (not the word, but I couldn't think of a
worse word) and I would have to hope that we have a maintainer at that
point that keeps the mainline project from heading in that direction.

There are so many other things out there that are fit for this
purpose, sshfs, nfs, cifs which dedicate their whole existance to
creating a good way to download files from remote servers.
--
avuton