>> Kind of, except it doesn't need UPnD or DLNA, just a new command
>> "download <file>".  I had sent a sample patch that provided this command
>> a long time ago.  My implementation was purposefully naive, so that it
>> could be used to download any file from the `music' subdirectories (and
>> `playlist', tho this part is not needed any more now that we have
>> listplaylistinfo), which I abused in my MPC.el client to also download
>> files like "<dir>/cover.jpg".

> I have two problems with that concept:
> - big danger of security problems, of course.

Easy to solve: only allow downloads of song-files.  Tho, allowing
reading any file under the `music' directory would be perfectly safe for
my setup, and I expect it would also be perfectly safe for
most people's.  Of course you'd want to be careful with "..".

> - the MPD protocol is UTF-8/line based.

No problem here: just encode the data somehow to make it fit, or use
a separate connection (more problematic but more efficient), or ...
The world of possible solutions is wide open.

> But maybe we can make this part of the HTTP server (move the httpd code
> into MPD core, and let the "httpd" output plugin mount itself as
> a special case)?

As long as I can "download" while MPD is playing some other song, that'd
be probably be OK.

> I understand that album cover management is an interesting feature
> request for MPD.  I have been thinking about adding some sort of
> "binary stickers" for images, lyrics, ...

Yes, my sample implementation covered a whole bunch of different
features, by providing "dirty low-level" access.  But there's no need to
do it this way (it was just easier for me to implement and saved several
problems at once).  One aspect is just "download a song from MPD so
I can stuff it into my portable Ogg player", this may need/want to worry
about re-encoding the song in a different format (e.g. I keep my music
in Flac but like to reencode it into Ogg-96Kb/s before stuffing it into
my Ogg player), but that can left to the client for now.

        Stefan