On 1/28/2011 2:56 AM, Max Kellermann wrote:
> On 2011/01/27 18:11, Tim Carter<t...@frontierdigital.com>  wrote:
>> What I need is for MPD to retain persistent play history for a given
>> playlist.  The goal is to enhance the 'repeat' functionality so that a
>> given song would not repeat until the entire list had been played
>> through completely, even if another playlist were loaded in the interim.
>>
>> For example, if playlist_1 has tracks 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D'; playlist_2
>> has 'E', 'F' and 'G'.
>> playlist_1 is loaded (with repeat&  random enabled).  Tracks 'B', 'D'
>> and 'C' play.  Playlist_2 is then loaded and track 'E' and 'F' are played.
>> Finally, playlist_1 is re-loaded.  I want track 'A' to be played before
>> 'B', 'D' or 'C' are played again.
> What about a client which keeps track of songs already played, and
> when that song is added to the queue again, it will auto-remove it?
>
> That client could run as an accompanying daemon next to mpd.
>
> Max
In fact, there is a 'controller' that runs alongside MPD now.  It is
responsible for setting various MPD parameters and for loading playlists
per a predefined schedule.

I had considered making the controller responsible for maintaining
persistent play history but I'm trying to limit it's role to
'fire-and-forget' and allow MPD to do what it does best; play the
music.  This separation also contributes to the robustness of the system
as playback is not dependent on the controller; if the controller goes
pear-shaped MPD just keeps on playing the last thing it was told to do
-- nice.

As I typing this I wonder if there some way to use the 'consume' mode
together with saving the remnants of a playlist when switching to a new
one to achieve much of this goal...  I'll have to noddle on that a bit more.

In the meantime, my offer stands to fund development of this feature (in
mainline MPD) either through direct payment to a developer, or, to a
charity of his/her choice.

Thanks for your thoughts.

T.

Tim Carter