Some bonus thoughts:

What if we start from different side and implement a wrapper (i.e. class
FileName) that encapsulates actual file name string (no matter how it is
stored internally)?

Then we could create some similar wrapper that use our FileName class
instead of any strings.

This would give us clear transition points between internal UTF-8
representation and real file system.

This would require more effort, because there are other functions that
deal with file names directly. For example composing path from multiple
components. As far a I understand currently it's implemented via GLib
routines. Since we're anyway migrating from it such reimplementation
would be required anyway (some code might be directly imported from GLib
I think).

What do you think about such approach?

--
Denis