16.01.2013 19:24, Max Kellermann пишет:
> Why custom memory management, when std::string already does all we
> need?  Transfer of ownership is std::move().  But only if internal
> path names are already in std::string, which was my suggestion.

Well, you insisted on not-having overhead here.
(I don't actually think the explained below process is too much
overhead, but):

What would map_uri_fs() look like?
We are gived UTF-8 URI and need to return std::string-based type.
First we call character conversion routine. This allocates some memory.
Then we copy the result to our std::string-wrapper (aka Path).
This employs additional copying, don't it?
Finally we free the our char* buffer and return Path.

> But it's even easier; with my idea, you don't need to transfer
> ownership at all.  Let some code do the talking:

Well this is exactly what I've proposed from start of our discussion
(starting from "Some bonus thoughts").
And you initially disagreed with it.

I'm not native English speaker so I attribute this to my poor
explanation skills.

--
Denis