On 2013/01/19 07:33, Denis Krjuchkov <de...@crazydev.net> wrote:
> Important thing for wrappers is error management:
> errno might be messed in between because constructing Path might
> change it. What are options here?

Path::Null() does not modify errno.  And Path::Null() shall be
returned on error.  No problem.

> Also I've forgot about logging. Should logs be UTF-8 too? What if
> logging is redirected to stderr. In that case FS encoded paths are
> expected.

Log file is UTF-8.  Logging to stderr is for debugging only, it's not
a "supported operation mode".  If that turns out to be an issue, then
the logging library must convert.

> In project I work on we tend to avoid writing abbreviations in all
> caps. For example HTML is spelled Html. This gives some better
> readability. My eyes blow on names such as FLACIOHandle. There are
> some corner cases like Io, Id (they don't look cool IMO). But can't
> we adopt this approach for some longer names (i.e. four or more
> letters)?
> FLACIOHandle would be FlacIOHandle. Anybody knows what FLAC means
> anyway, but Flac is more readable in identifiers.

Yes, if you like "Flac" more than "FLAC" in camel-case names, I'm ok
with changing it.

("Id" is an abbreviation, but it's not an acronym, therefore "ID" is
wrong in any case.)

> C++ provides wrappers for standard C headers (e.g. cstdio for stdio.h).
> Are there any rules on them? I tend to use them, however they have
> serious disadvantage: it's hard to predict whenever some function
> would appear to std namespace. So should we dismiss those headers?

I have never used the C++ wrapper headers, I don't know why they exist
and whether using them has an advantage.  Until somebody explains it
to me, I'll keep on using standard C headers, but I wouldn't mind
patches using C++ headers and std::.