On 2013/01/17 13:34, Denis Krjuchkov <de...@crazydev.net> wrote:
> 17.01.2013 16:40, Max Kellermann ??????????:
> >Unfortunately, this means that a Path instance can never be passed in
> >a register, it must always go the round-trip to memory and back.  This
> >adds overhead.  Admittedly not much, but useless, and enough to annoy
> >me.
>
> So you're going to refuse this approach?

I'm not sure.  This missed chance for optimization is annoying, but
the advantages may outweigh that.

> Some overhead is unavoidable when using high-level features.
> Having non-trivial destructor provides automatic resource management
> which is impossible with raw pointers.

Actually, C++ is a language that is extremely well at abstractions and
syntactic sugar that cost nothing at runtime.  This overhead would be
avoidable!

In this case, the compiler is too stupid to apply the optimization.
Or the C++ ABI doesn't allow it, because it may not have been adapted
to C++11 capabilities yet.