On 2013/01/26 12:46, Jonathan Neuschäfer <j.neuschae...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 10:26:00AM +0100, Max Kellermann wrote:
> > There are still a few missing pieces before we can replace the
> > GMainLoop completely.  See src/output/HttpdClient.cxx.
> >
> > What is a replacement that runs on Linux (POSIX), Windows and Android?
> > Or shall we just roll our own?
>
> Although I haven't worked with GMainLoop or libevent, libev (which I
> have worked with before) seems like a good candidate for a event loop,
> and it also has C++ bindings.

I have only used libevent, but never libev.  How unfortunate that two
projects duplicate the exact same goals.

According to quick searches on the net, neither libevent nor libev
seems to work well with Bionic (Android's libc).  However, for
Android, we could simply roll our own event loop.  That's not too
hard, and the scalability of libevent/libev is not required here.

(And anyway, unlike libevent/libev, GLib's GMainLoop doesn't use
epoll; therefore a custom event loop will not be worse than using
GLib)