Brendan, et al --

...and then Brendan Cully said...
% On Friday, 09 June 2000 at 08:08, David T-G wrote:
% >
% > confirm, once again, that making an imap connection and then exiting (not
% > quitting), without even reading any messages, will change all of my 'N'ew
% > message flags to 'O'ld.
%
% Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do about this. The

Oh, darn.  I know that it used to work, though.  Are there some servers
that force this and some that don't, or is the a configure-time flag, or
anything like that?

% IMAP spec gives clients no control over the \Recent flag, which is
% what distinguishes between New and Old messages. Most servers remove

Hmmm...  So there are never-seen, seen-but-never-read, and read (perhaps
replied) message states, then, right?  And there's no way to get out of
that connection without having the never-seen changed to seen?

% the \Recent flag from all messages as soon as you open their mailbox,
% automatically. RFC 2060 disallows clients to restore that flag. So, if
% you find this behaviour annoying, I'd recommend that you unset
% mark_old. That's what I do, anyway.

Well, that doesn't do me any good when I need to be able to pop into my
wife's mailbox, check on a message that just came in which she can't
download at the moment, and then make it new again for her POPping
later...

%
% -Brendan

Thanks...

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature