Brett Coon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 20 Jun 2000:
> Hmm, to the extent that MH format is like Maildir, my  experience
> is  contrary  to  your  claim  that saving changes is faster in a
> one-message-per-file format.  I  found  that  closing  mutt  took
> several  times  longer with MH than with mbox.  My suspicioun was
> that mutt updates the access times for every message file  so  it
> can detect new messages, and this updating is slow (at  least  on
> Solaris).

If this is true, then this wouldn't be slow-down with Maildir.  The
"newness" of a file is determined by it's location, if it's in the
"new" subdir inside the Maildir, it's new.  If it's in "cur", it's
been read.  Other message flags may be stored in the filename, so
status changes wouldn't theoretically need to even rewrite the file,
just renaming it.  I do think Mutt does update the X-Status header
though when you flag a message or something...

Anyway, the performance hit you get with deleting messages might also
be because of the .mh_sequences file?  I don't know in detail how that
works though, I just know it's there.

Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /