Emmanuel Anne [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I am just starting to use mutt, and noticed something :
> it is quite hard to configure when you have an email adress
> different from your unix account. Generally, you end up using
> the sendmail "-f" switch, but in a case like this you get
> an "Authentication-Warning" with some mail agents like
> postfix (as you can see in the headers of this message).

First note that you shouldn't need the -f switch to just change the From:
header.  You only need this if you actually want to change the envelope
sender for some reason.  If you just want to change the From: header, Mutt
has various methods for doing this during message composition -- see the
manual regarding $from, my_hdrs, $alternates/$reverse_name, etc.

> I did not check very far, but apparently some other programs
> take the approach of sending mail by communicating with sendmail
> via the port 25, and not by calling it directly. Apparently, they
> avoid the -f switch, and thus the warning.
> xfmail takes this approach.

Mutt doesn't speak SMTP because it isn't a mail transfer agent.  It is a
mail reader and as such doesn't know anything about mail transfer
protocols, just mailbox formats.  This lets it be very versatile as far as
which mail transfer agent you use with it and lets the developers spend
time on making the mail reading features better instead of chasing mail
transfer protocol development that other projects are already doing quite
well.

> But maybe I did something wrong ?

If you really need the envelope sender changed you might consider
reconfiguring your MTA to omit this warning if you don't want it.  If it
doesn't allow this, or your setup doesn't allow it, this is a limitation of
your MTA/setup, not Mutt.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/

PGP signature