[mutt-dev trimmed]

Emmanuel Anne proclaimed on mutt-users that:

> I am just starting to use mutt, and noticed something :
> it is quite hard to configure when you have an email adress
> different from your unix account. Generally, you end up using
> the sendmail "-f" switch, but in a case like this you get
> an "Authentication-Warning" with some mail agents like
> postfix (as you can see in the headers of this message).

Should that matter?  Anyone who filters on an X- header like that should, erm,
re-evaluate his priorities :)

> I did not check very far, but apparently some other programs
> take the approach of sending mail by communicating with sendmail
> via the port 25, and not by calling it directly. Apparently, they

Pine does it - if you set it to use 'sender' instead of X-Sender.  Using
X-Sender will make pine talk smtp using sendmail -bs (or equivalent) -
producing a header like  X-Authentication-Warning: foo owned process using -bs

If your actual unix account name resolves, instead of being in RFC 1918 space
(192.168./16, 10./8 etc) and is not something like [EMAIL PROTECTED],
then you can safely send using that, and altering your from header using

my_hdr From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Foo Bar)

Mutt will still use the envelope sender of [EMAIL PROTECTED] (which is not a
problem if it resolves - but if it does not resolve, you'll end up having lots
of mail bounced / dev/nulled, as most well configured MTAs will refuse to
accept mail if they can't resolve the envelope sender's domain name.

It's your choice.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis
mallet @ cluestick.org + Lumber Cartel of India, tinlcI