On 2001.09.19, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "David T-G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, I don't think so; that's what's so interesting.  I'd love to
> see the results of same experiment under 2.6 and 8;

Weird: I find that 7 behaves as 9 does -- '[A-Z][a-z]'
'[N-Z][A-M][n-z][a-m]' works, but the others give "bad string" errors.
On Solaris 8, this also works, but the other forms do not give "bad
string". They just include the brackets in the ranges. (IOW, it seems
that they require congruent ranges.) I don't have anything less than
Solaris 7 anymore. Except... hmm. Yes, SunOS 4.1.4 wins this contest.
It'll take any number of ranges on either side, the Way Things Ought To
Be.

Guess someone just can't make up their minds. I wonder whether it's Sun
or a standards agency. I wish I still had other platforms....

Well, the lesson is that tr usage varies wildly among platforms, just
like expr, but we already knew that. :) So maybe it's best just to have
your .mailcap call that rot13 shell script, and adapt the script to cope
with unames appropriately. Or use perl.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago