David T-G [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> Truong, et al --
>
> By the way, would you mind setting your line wrap at 72 characters or so?
> It makes it much easier to read, and most folks on this list are staunchly
> ASCII-only and appreciate the formatting.

Oh.., I didn't realize that, excuse me !

> ...and then Truong said...
> %
> % Petr Baudis [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> % > >
> % > > I would like to view a resume of different incoming mailboxes just before
> % > > selecting one. Some thing I would have with " [..]$ du $HOME/Mail/ "
> % > > The command "mailboxes" is indicated in section 3.11 "Defining mailboxes .."
> % > > mutt-manual.txt.gz . But it doesn't work .
> % > Sure it doesn't? Try to press 'c', then '?' to list content of ~/Mail/, and
> %
> % Hi Petr,
> %
> % Yes, I know to run "[..]$ mutt -y" to list all files defined with the command
>mailboxes , and also keys binding 'c' to change to others files then '?' to select
>one . For this, the manual wroted by Micheal Elkin and others veteran mutt-users is
>quite clear . Your idea about alias in bashrc is also a good point, I will put it in
>mine .
>
> Good so far.
>

> %
> % Well, I missed some descriptions: as you see, each time the key 'c' is pressed (or
>in console mode 'mutt -y'), we can see a resume of all mail-files with amount in
>bytes . What I would like to see more is the number of mails in each file, something
>like when I start 'mutt' without option and the $spoolfile is shown with that
>information (number of mails).
>
> I think I get it.  mutt does not know how many messages are in a mailbox
> until it opens it, and it could be very expensive to open every mailbox
> just to count messages before giving you the display.  Instead mutt
> checks the access and modification times to determine whether or not
> there is new mail (quiet, Rob! ;-) and can, of course, check the raw
> size.
>

> %
> % I think of some macro menu format . There are surely already the solution(s) but I
>didn't find yet in the manual, that's why I would like to learn from mutt-users .
>
> Actually, there probably isn't.  This, like the "do I have new mail?"
> topic,  comes up fairly often.  Most folks say "I want mutt to tell
> me such-and-such" without realizing what it takes to provide that
> information, but there's always some smart aleck (it was I last time)
> who shows quickly and simply why it would take way too much time; after
> all, mutt can happily handle huge mailboxes :-)

Yes, if you know that I've tried Mutt since 1 week and I adopt it.
You know the reasons better than me.

You are right here: I didn't realize it could be expensive in
comparaison with few keys "c", "?", "j" (or "k") and hit RETURN.

Thanks again for your clear anwser !