So sprach »Cristian« am 2002-01-07 um 18:03:24 +0100 :
> you have not signed your message, so all the remarks I am going to
> make may not apply to the real Alexander Skwar. Maybe some villain
> wanted to make Alexander look daft by forging that email.

Even if so, it wouldn't matter much.  Just because someone signed your
mail with a key saying that it was from "you" doesn't mean that the mail
is actually from you.

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 05:36:43PM +0100, Alexander Skwar (?) wrote:
> > No, it's not.  Personal mails and "important" mails should be signed
> > and/or encrypted.  However mailinglist mails should not be encrypted,
>
> Please learn the difference between encrypting and signing!
>
> Sending encrypted messages to mailing lists comes with big logistic
> problems. It may also be unnecessary. But you meant signing, right?

No, I meant signed and/or encrypted, because I was talking about both
personal mails and mailing list mails.

> > because those mails are not important,
>
> Are you talking about your email or about all messages sent to mailing
> lists?

About 99,99% of mails sent to mailinglists.  This of course also
includes my mails, but also mails like your reply.

> GnuPG uses a cache to reduce this overhead. I can live with it on an
> ISDN dialup line. Signatures are really small, and encrypted messages
> are compressed automatically. If you receive many encrypted messages,
> your hard disk will say `thank you'!

For encrypted messages, that's right, yes.  However for signed messages,
that's not correct.  Even if the signature is small, 2000xsmall == big.

> Look into the archives and into the Web to find out why PGP is a good
> thing.

Of course it's a good thing.  No doubt about that.  But not for
mailinglist mails.  And also not for usenet news.

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:       http://www.iso-top.de      |     Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]