> >There seems to be no way to make mutt include a forwarded message in
> >quoted text.  MUCH more often than not, that's the behavior I want, so
> >that I can comment on what the original writer wrote.  Maybe a way
> >does exist, since it seems intuitive that people would want to do
> >this, but I couldn't find a way.  IIRC, Pine (for example) has a handy
> >option for this.
>
> The easiest way to do this is, of course, to just use reply. ;-)

Well, yes, except that I sometimes also use forward instead of reply,
so that signatures are not stripped from the message.  And sometimes I
don't want attribution/quote marks.  But often that does work...

> >- sigs not included in quoting
>
> >Occasionally, you run across a sig that's just damn cool, or otherwise
> >warrants comment.  I can find no way to make mutt include the sig in
> >e-mail, temporarily or otherwise.  I'm certain that Pine has a handy
> >option for this.
>
> I don't understand your question.  Mutt does not cut off .signatures.

Hmmm...  well, whenever I reply to a message, everything after
sigdashes is stripped from the message.  It's possible that my editor
is doing this (I use post-mode for emacs), and I'll look into that.

Whatever it is, it's pretty inconvenient at times, for example when
signing up for some lists.  The replies sent by some lists include the
authorization info AFTER sigdashes (including the mutt mailing lists)
which then get stripped out upon replying to the mail.  Failing to
notice the sigdashes means I need to quit out of composing the
message, and either use forward or cut and paste the auth command.

Yep, I'm lazy!  ;-)

> >I hate HTML mail as much as anyone.  Honestly.  But the fact is, a
> >lot of people use it.  And sometimes, important people use it.
> >Yes, mutt does have ways to display these messages, but they are
> >inconvenient at best.  And, AFAIK, mutt does not include a means
> >of QUOTING these messages, when one must reply to them.  This
> >sucks.  I'll grant you that I toss these messages out usually
> >anyway, but I need to have the option of dealing with them if I
> >need to.
>
> Add this line to your ~/.mailcap:
>
>       text/html; lynx -underscore -force_html -dump %s; copiousoutput
>
> And this one to your ~/.muttrc:
>
>       auto_view text/html
>
> That should be all that's necessary to automatically display (and
> include in replies) HTML messages.

K, I'll try this, but I could swear I did this before and had some
sort of problem with it...

> >Whether you guys like it or not, most of the rest of the world
> >uses clearsigning and ascii-armored plaintext messages.  Mutt
> >falls down here.

[SNIP more of my ramblings...]

> Try Esc-P when displaying a message.

Ok... I was unfamiliar with this option/feature.  I guess you could
add another gripe: documentation.  The old version is well documented,
but the new one has none, as far as I could tell.

Thanks

- --
Derek Martin               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I prefer mail encrypted with PGP/GPG!
GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu
Learn more about it at http://www.gnupg.org