On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:17:06PM -0500, Derek D. Martin wrote:
> Perhaps, but unless I misunderstand how mutt verifies the signature,
> even that isn't an indication that the mail was signed by the person
> the e-mail claims to be from.  AFAIU, it is only an indication that
> the signature was verified as being made by a key that's in your
> keyring.  Only the gpg/PGP output will identify who actually signed
> the mail.  Is that not so?

Or if it can find the matching key on the keyservers.

> If so, then if you had my key, and I knew you had someone else's key,
> and I knew that you depended only on checking the s or S, I could
> easily forge mail as the other person, and you'd think that it was
> signed by them, when in fact it was signed by me.

No not if you wanted people to non-obviously think it was sent by them.
You see your email is the perfect example.  Mutt did not show it as
authenticated.  Even though GPG did.  Why?  Because your key didn't
match the email address you sent it from.