mike ledoux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I don't buy into the idea that the editor should be the beginning and
> the end of my interaction with the system.  I expect a text editor to
> be good at editing text--nothing more, nothing less.  To insist that
> the editor should know the difference between editing email, C source,
> or an X pixmap runs counter to the Unix philosophy.

This is a complete non-sequitor.  Just because my editor
recognizes the .c extension doesn't mean it's "the beginning and
the end of my interaction with the system".  And I don't see how
recognizing C source files runs counter to the UNIX philosophy:
the editor is still dedicated to editing *text*.

> If you really care, I use vi--*not* vim.  I'm comfortable with both ed
> and ex, but I wouldn't want to use them for email if I could avoid it.

Real UNIX users only compose email with ed, no doubt about it! ;-)

Sam