Hi,

of course it is possible to create traditional PGP messages in a
decent editor. I just successfully tried to use the Mailcrypt package
for Emacs when editing a message for Mutt in post.el mode.

There's just one caveat: I had to set noedit_headers to avoid signing
the headers as well. I originally installed Mailcrypt for use with
GNUS -- there might be a way to configure it to ignore the header
lines as they show up when using post.el with edit_headers=yes.

That said, signing can be done my typing:
M-x mailcrypt-sign

When editing is finished, Mutt still believes that the message is
unsigned cleartext, and you should leave it at that.

Messages signed like this can be verified by Pine users who have
configured some way PGP support -- I testet it with pgp4pine.

This solution is unsatisfactory for a Mutt user, of course.

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 07:27:20AM -0500, Ken Wahl wrote:
> A gentleman in news:comp.mail.mutt posted these Vim bindings a couple of
> days ago which allow you to (d)encrypt, clearsign, or both directly in Vim.
> Thereby keeping the text/plain mime-type.  Might this be a temporary
> workaround, at least for those using Vim?

To sum up, there are currently two approaches to creating widely
compatible PGP messages: applying the ``PGP Outlook compatibility
patch'' (a misnomer!) or invoking PGP outside of Mutt (using an
editor or a Mutt pipe macro).

I suggest renaming the patch to ``PGP compatibility patch'', and I
agree with Will Yardley and Michael Elkins who voted for integrating
it with the next full Mutt release.

Someone please tell the developers.

Cheers,
Cristian