Hi Christian,

> I agree with everything you say (though I do hope the story about
> rebinding the y-key was a joke). Your patch is important for the
> wide-spread use of PGP in non-english communication.

Why?  It's the best I could come up with.

> I just checked that with your patch, I can finally use Mutt to sign
> messages in the iso-latin-1 charset in the traditional way and verify
> it in Pine.
>
> - - open message at work in Pine 4.44
> - - message is successfully verified on opening
>   by PGP-aware display filters (selfmade) calling PGP 2.6.3ia

Great!

> My test email had the header line, ``Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit''.
> I don't know if there'll be problems if the message is transformed to
> quoted/printable by an MTA. Would somebody else check that please?

This is the reason for my fear of broken signatures.  If the
quoted-printable message is verified, the (mangled) signature will
obviously be wrong.  Same with base64 and whatever.  If the re-converted
text is verified, everything should work though.

> This Email is signed the same way as described above. So you can try
> to verify it with whatever you use.

01:40 viktor@bart:~ $ gpg --verify christian
gpg: Signature made Sam 12 Jan 2002 00:58:54 CET using RSA key ID
A1938DAD
gpg: Good signature from "Christian Boltin Pietsch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
Could not find a valid trust path to the key.  Let's see whether we
can assign some missing owner trust values.

No path leading to one of our keys found.

gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
gpg: Fingerprint: 38 CC 39 22 FE 4C 9A 95  12 F2 8A 15 71 72 DE 3F
01:40 viktor@bart:~ $

Looks good!

Cheers,
Viktor