Thank you, David.  It is very encouraging to hear that VMWare really
works in such a case.

I have discussed this with my department's system support, and they
point out it could mean alot of additional work getting my various
hardware configurations (with docking station, without, etc) set up
under Linux.  Rather, they suggest running VMWare on Windows and
running Linux and Mutt within that -- the opposite of what you are
doing.  Does anyone out there have experience or insights?

Also, I am assuming that the Urlview function would work correctly in
the Linux version of Mutt, and that this capability is included in
standard Linux distributions?

Tom

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, David Rock wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:35:32PM +0100, Thomas Baker wrote:
> > Having spent several long days working on this (I am not a programmer),
> > I must confess I'm at a loss.  Should I keep tweaking away at any of the
> > above?  Should I look to running pine on top of Linux on top of VMWare
> > on top of WIN2000?  Or pine under Linux, with VMWare for MS-Office?  Or
> > should I download two identical email streams in parallel -- one into
> > mutt, for processing into mbox files and editing with vim, and one
> > into Eudora, for browsing URLs contained in messages and collecting
> > attached binaries automatically in a default directory?
>
> I have found running Windows under VMWare on a Linux box to be quite
> adequate for 98% of what I need to do at work (a Win2000 environment).
> The majority of my mail reading is done using mutt and imap to the
> Exchange server. The only time I really NEED to use Outlook is when
> replying to meeting requests. This can be accomplished by either running
> Outlook under a VM, or by using the outlook web client access. The web
> client isn't perfect, but it will let you reply to appointments
> "properly".
>
> I hate to say it here, but if you are using Exchange 2000 at work, the
> client piece of Evolution (Ximian Gnome) is supposed to work fairly well
> as an Outlook replacement, but it does cost money to get it (about $70
> per seat, i think).
>
> --
> David Rock
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dr. Thomas Baker                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Birlinghoven Library, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven                          +49-2241-14-2352
53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany                              fax +49-2241-14-2619

Home: Stubenrauchstr. 64                           home-office +49-30-8109-9027
      14167 Berlin, Germany                             mobile +49-171-408-5784