On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 10:45:01AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:33:19PM +0000, jmc wrote:
> >
> > Tab expansion? Sorry, I don't follow. How could I check?
>
> that's simpler to see (but less likely).  ncurses can be configured to send
> tab characters (making some optimizations a little better), but not all
> terminals/drivers are setup properly.  I'd just run mutt in 'script' and
> see if the resulting typescript has tab characters (that would tell me if
> I might want to look further, e.g., if tabs are expanded at every 8th column).
>
> diagnosing a problem with the locale stuff is harder to see where to start...

Thomas,
wanting to verify that Mutt 1.2.25 does not have this problem, I rebuilt
it to check. And it *does* have the problem. So I removed all my muttrc
files, and everything returned to normal!

After some experimentation I discovered the reason for my problem:

set index_format="%2C %Z %{%b %d} %F   %s"

%F needs to be changed to %-15.15F.

My fault! Many thanks for your time and help,
jmc.