On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 09:27:30AM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:

| Oh that side is easy - your home system knows how to send, directly
| (Optus block inbound SMTP, not outbound SMTP). The problem is that the
| home machine will either stamp unqualified addresses ("cameron") with
| a bogus domain (eg "localhost.localdomain" on unmodified redhat boxes)
| or with the ISP's domain (if you've so configured it), which is a LIE,
| because most accounts on your machine either don't exist in the ISP or
| collide with other users.

So ... WHY in the world are your other user accounts sending mail to
accounts that are not local to your system?  If they aren't, then that
argument is pointless.  Nevertheless, don't ever masquerade your
system as someone else's domain.

| the crucial point most people seem to miss here, aside from the whole
| lack-of-domain thing, is that if you're going to use you local machines
| mail system, _all_ email clients must be able to use it (without special
| config hacks like my_hdr), and all local accounts must be able to use it.
| That's the whole point!

Yeah, take a look at the exim configuration generated by option "2" of
the debian script "eximconfig".  It does just what you say you need.
Local users have mail delivered locally; outgoing mail goes through
your ISP's smarthost (just like Outhouse would do); local users'
address is rewritten to be their publicly visible/valid address.  This
setup allows numerous local users with unique ISP-provided (or hotmail
or whatever) addresses to use your system to send mail 'net-wide.

-D

--
A violent man entices his neighbor
and leads him down a path that is not good.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/