> set mail_check=15

> set ssl_use_sslv3=yes
> set timeout=15
>
> set imap_user=[your-short-username]
> set imap_pass=[your-password]
> set smtp_url="smtp://[your-user-name]@[your-mail-server]:587/"
> set smtp_pass=[your-password]
>
> set folder=imap://[your-email-server]/
> set mbox=imap://[your-email-server]/INBOX
> set postponed=imap://[your-email-server]/Drafts
> set record="imap://[your-email-server]/Sent Items"
> set spoolfile=imap://[your-email-server]/INBOX
> set trash="imap://[your-email-server]/Deleted Items"

I've configure mutt up as you mentioned above, the problem remains.

But I think i've catch the point.

The reason may be the firewall,  The mail guard defends the request as
alien invaders,  'cause the commands such as LHLO, etc were not
recognize( returned error code 500 5. 3. 3  Unrecognized command ).

I've googled the case up,  some guys faces the same problems when
Cisco PIX (or other defenders) has been introduced. Thus it's not the
problem i could solve on my own. :)

Great thanks to all your honorable mentions. Mutt would be with me for
i could configure it up through Gmail.

BTW
> set smtp_authenticators="login"

should this one be

set imap_authenticator  = "login"

My mutt complained the command not found as you type this way.

--
Liu An
Institution of modern physics, Shanghai, China