Chris Green wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:11:06AM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> > * On 20 Mar 2013, Chris Green wrote:
> > >
> > > I suspect my MTA doesn't agree exactly with mutt about where the
> > > 'message separator' is.
> >
> > When your script delivers a message, does it append a message and then
> > a blank line, or does it append a blank line and then a message?
> >
> It appears to add a blank line and then the message.
>
> Has the mutt handling of this changed in the last few versions?
>
> The python way of doing this is correct according to the RFC as far as I
> can tell, there *should* be a blank line between the end of a message
> and the 'From ' starting the next message.  Thus the python library I'm
> using does add this blank line.

it is not correct. the blank line should be at the *end* of each message,
not at the *start*. think about it. does an mbox file start with a blank line?
no. it ends with a blank line.

> However mutt detects this as an error and outputs the messsage about the
> mailbox being modified.

not an error, just a modification.

presumably because there is an extra blank line, mutt sensibly concludes
that the message that was previously the last message now has an extra
blank line in it (i.e. the line that used to be a message separator but
which is now a new last line of the message followed by the new message
separator).

> If, on the other hand, I append a message to my mbox file by hand and I
> *don't* put a blank line in then mutt is quite happy. Thus mutt is quite
> happy with the following in an mbox:-

because that is correct.

the python code needs to be changed to write the "From " header, then the
message, then the blank line.

cheers,
raf