On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:45:22AM +1100, raf wrote:

> the python code needs to be changed to write the "From " header, then
the
> message, then the blank line.

Then it appears to be a bug in the Python mailbox library code.  I have
attached it here.  If you look through you will see, in the mbox class,
the following:-

    def _pre_message_hook(self, f):
        """Called before writing each message to file f."""
        if f.tell() != 0:
            f.write(os.linesep)

I.e. it writes a line separator to the mbox file *before* appending a
new message.  I suppose it could be said that this guarantees the mbox
is correctly formatted even if the *previous* writer to the mbox hasn't
put a blank line there.

By the way I tested mutt itself and it *doesn't* put a blank line
between messages, the 'From xxxxx' line is immediately after the last
line of text of the previous message.

I have fixed the problem for myself by creating a class derived from
mailbox.mbox and overriding _pre_message_hook().

--
Chris Green