On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 19:36:13 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> Yes, but did you look in the "existing mbox file" to see if there were
> blank lines betweeen the messages there?

For what it's worth, I took a simple test message, saved it into a new
mailbox, and then used vi to make four copies of the message.  I
removed the Content-Length: and Lines: header lines from all four
copies, and the trailing blank line from two of the copies.

When I opened up this mbox file using "mutt -f" and saved each message
to a new mailbox (in various orders), I found that the presence-or-not
of a trailing blank line was preserved in the copies.

I got the same results from these tests with both with a "current"
version of mutt, v1.5.21 from the Ubuntu Precise package, and a "very
old" one, v1.5.9i from the Debian Sarge package.

So... it does appear that Mutt will preserve whatever trailing-blank-
line situation was originally created by the MDA, even as it saves the
messages into new mailboxes (and that it doesn't actually care what
convention was used by other messages previously found in the mailbox
being appended to).

                                                Nathan