On Wednesday 20 Nov 2013 21:07:13 Mark Filipak wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, Mick...
>
> On 2013/11/20 2:59 PM, Mick wrote:
> >>
> >> Windows kept saying "Hey! That came from an alien system. I'm not going
> >> to let you install it." It would lock stuff and laugh at me.
> >
> > The exact error and method of access when it occurred may be more useful.
> >  You may need a different umask in your fstab.  I have set up a few
> > Linux machines to mount NTFS and have not had such problems (always in
> > dual booting scenarios).
>
> Not an error (see paragraph 2). This is not a problem manifested because of
> Linux and it doesn't involve Linux permissions. This is a problem even when
> downloading something off the net directly into Windows.
>
> In Windows, open a file's property sheet. With the 'General' tab to the
> fore, "Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked
> to help protect this computer." This statement is accompanied by an
> [Unblock] button. This blocking severely hobbles the usefulness of a
> shared directory. I have a Sysinternals (Mark Russinovich) utility that
> supports batch fixup of the problem, but I'd prefer to simply avoid it.

Interesting ... I haven't noticed this (yet).  I'll check at work tomorrow.

> -snip-
>
> > When you open a file the access timestamp changes.  I assume that you
> > will open a message file with a MSWindows mail client...
>
> No. There is no maildir compatible Windows mail client.

I thought that Thunderbird now offers Maildir ... but I don't know if this is
a Linux feature only.

> > Samba is a file server.  It accesses files natively on a Linux fs and
> > then it passes these on over the ethernet using TCP/IP (at the
> > application-layer of the OSI model) to MSWindows clients.  In this model
> > the MSWindows OS does not read or access the Linux fs at an OS level,
> > the SAMBA server does.
>
> That sounds exactly what I need. There's a Host Only network as an option
> in the virtual machine, I guess I could use that.
>
> -snip-
>
> > This will be the case if the fs is only accessed via one OS (e.g.
> > Linux)...
>
> That is the case.
>
> > ...and the files are served to the MSWindows via SAMBA.  In which case
> > the solution you seek is probably SAMBA.
>
> Yes. You've helped to clarify things. I think you can now see that what I'm
> trying to do is really quite elemental - simple sharing, no
> synchronization, no permissions issues. I'm not sure that a mutt forum is
> the appropriate venue. Do you know of anyone who is doing this and would
> be willing to advise me?

I haven't heard of anyone doing this Mark, but here's an elementary smb.conf
sample to try out:

[Maildir]
   comment = My Maildir on Linux
   path = /var/spool/-whatever-
   browsable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes
   guest only = yes
   create mask = 0640

The above assumes that you want to grant anonymous access to your mail files.
You'll need to chown the directory to user 'nobody' and group 'nogroup' for
samba purposes.  This would be the simplest approach, but mutt may not be
happy with the ownership.  Therefore instead of guest, use your Linux user for
SAMBA too, comment out "guest only = yes" and set a samba passwd for your
Linux user if it is not set up by default.  The MSWindows machine should have
the same username and it will use this to authenticate on the samba shares to
read message files.

The documentation is very good, so have a look there for details:

  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

Hope this works out for you.

Personally I would prefer setting up dovecot on the Linux machine and then
accessing its messages from either OS.
--
Regards,
Mick