On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 12:55:07PM -0500, DaleKelly wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 11:41 AM, John Niendorf wrote:
> >Just a note: ~/ is shorthand for/home/dale/
>

> installed from repository, more recent
>
> set up my ~/.muttrc file
>
> with these additions
>
> set smtp_host=smtp://u...@smtpout.secureserver.net:80
> set pop_host=pop://u...@pop.secureserver.net:110
>
> (can't use port 25 for my SMTP server, 80 works on Thunderbird,
> trying to get a lower memory footprint for email/news, have problems
> with desktop switcher)
>
> get these errors
>
> dale@dale-W3653:~$ mutt
> Error in /home/dale/.muttrc, line 136: smtp_host: unknown variable
> source: errors in /home/dale/.muttrc
> Press any key to continue...

This is pointing to the problem. Look at line 136. Is line 136 the one
you give above:-

set smtp_host=smtp://u...@smtpout.secureserver.net:80

Do you have to replace "user" with your user name?

When you type "mutt -v" at the prompt, do you get "+USE_SMTP" in the
output, or do you get "-USE_SMTP"? If you get the latter you have not
compiled mutt with SMTP support so it will not recognise smtp_host.

You have the error message. You have the manual. Just search until you
debug this problem.

Brian.