On 11/04/2014 07:02 PM, Jon LaBadie wrote:
The repository version has been found to be suitable by
many, many different users.  No one has been able to get
your hand built version to work.

Please consider the likelyhood that your previous problems
with the repository version were due to your unfamiliarity
with mutt configuration.

Using the repository version would eliminate one large
source of uncertainty.

Jon, thanks for your recommendation

I had the same configuration problems with the Ubuntu repository one, like the source I have to edit ~/.muttrc , kind of the same problems

SSL seems to work
SASL either isn't finding an authentication method, or I am not specifying my user/pass correctly in ~/.muttrc

I am getting this
digest-md5 authentication failed, trying next method
SASL authentication failed

I originally wanted to switch from Thunderbird since I was having freezes when I used my desktop switcher and mutt/slrn seemed to be some memory footprint I could gain

going to put this on the back burner, I slimmed down my Thunderbird, thanks EVERYONE for all the help, and any future recommendations

I find no freezes if I select an icon from the icon bar which takes me to the desktop it is on, rather than going to the desktop with the switcher

moving a window to a different desktop is the worst freezer, so all I can do is configure my desktops and avoid it, or shut down the window and open it on a new desktop

--
(my whereabouts below)
http://www.dalekelly.org/