On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 09:34:13PM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 02:49:35PM -0400, Xu Wang wrote:
>>   This variable configures how often (in seconds) mutt should look for new
>> mail.
>>   Also see the $timeout variable.
>>
>> So I don't think 0 makes sense here.
>
> The code (in buffy.c) is:

>   t = time (NULL);
>   if (!force && (t - BuffyTime < BuffyTimeout))
>     return BuffyCount;
>
>   BuffyTime = t;
>   BuffyCount = 0;
>   BuffyNotify = 0;
>
> So, it appears that if mail_check is 0, mutt will simply do the mail
> check every time it can (every time mutt_buffy_check() is called).
> If it's not clear, BuffyTimeout gets initialized from the value of
> mail_check.  This code also shows that there are times when mutt will
> check for mail regardless of how mail_check is set--whenever the
> function is called with the force parameter != 0.  That happens in 3
> places in the code.
>
> So, no, there's no way to prevent mutt from checking for new mail.

Thank you for finding this answer Derek! Someday I hope to have the
knowledge of C to dig into source code as you have done for me.

> Having answered the question, I am pretty curious:  Why on earth would
> you want to do that?!

The reason is that I have focus problems (attention deficit disorder I
believe is the English term). I would like to start Mutt and have Mutt
check for new mail *at the initial starting* and then address all of
the mail there, and only after that check if there is new mail. If I
am working on my inbox and all of a sudden a new email arrives, it
completely throws me out of focus. I imagine this must be difficult
for many to understand but that is how I am.

Kind regards,

Xu