* Xu Wang <xuwang...@gmail.com> [06-18-15 20:06]:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:
 [...]
> > Having answered the question, I am pretty curious:  Why on earth would
> > you want to do that?!
>
> The reason is that I have focus problems (attention deficit disorder I
> believe is the English term). I would like to start Mutt and have Mutt
> check for new mail *at the initial starting* and then address all of
> the mail there, and only after that check if there is new mail. If I
> am working on my inbox and all of a sudden a new email arrives, it
> completely throws me out of focus. I imagine this must be difficult
> for many to understand but that is how I am.

I understand the need for "no distraction" but cannot understand what
checking mail has to do with that unless you have some buffy pgm advising
new mail.  My setup only advises where new mail is when I change files
(mbox) and the request to change files provides the next file which has
"new mail".  Ie: I do not disable checking mail but do not get a visible
or interruptive announcement of new mail.  But my vision my be limited as
I *only* employe mbox and read remotely via ssh into my server box.

gud luk,