On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 12:11:10AM -0600, rlhar...@oplink.net wrote:
> On Thu, February 2, 2017 10:37 pm, sunrise wrote:
> > I already had getmail set up but didn't have msmtp installed.
>
> If exim4 is installed and configured, there is no need for msmtp, unless you
> need the profile feature of msmtp which gives you the ability to send
> messages through any of a number of smarthosts.
>
> Some may argue that exim4 is overkill for most users, but the package is
> mainstream, proven, and very capable; and, with the script provided by the
> Debian maintainer, configuration of exim4 is simple and quick.

... and if you're on a distribution where Postfix is the standard
that's also pretty easy to set up.  I personally prefer Postfix from
the ease of configuration point of view.

I use Postfix and both send and receive mail using SMTP as my desktop
machine is on all the time.  Thus I have no need for POP3/IMAP mail
collection.

--
Chris Green