Thank you for all your replies and suggestions - they were greatly appreciated.

I am using dial-up email and would like to setup a cron job to 1) Dial in to
the server,
2) Retrieve any messages (probably via getmail4 or similar) and 3) Send any
queued
messages. So I'm looking into using msmtpq (a script for use with msmtp) with
mutt.

Are there any suggestions for which MTA would be most suitable for this purpose
(sending
queued messages on a system that is not online when composing messages)?

Thanks.