On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 09:06:13AM -0700, Felix Finch wrote:
> On 20200404, Sam Kuper wrote:
>>This ~/.mailcap works tolerably under Gnome [...]
>
> I've been using something similar for several years, and one thing
> missing from this is a way to respond to invites.  Perhaps it's an
> Outlook-only thing, but I invariable get followup emails asking me to
> click "Accept", and I never see any such links.  Looking at it in the
> Outlook webmail, there is an RSVP section with buttons for Accept
> Yes/No.

AFAICT, this is just another Micro$oft lock-in attempt.

> Looking at the actual mime part, each invitee has an RSVP section.
>
>    ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Joe Blow
> :mailto:jb...@megacorp.com
>
> [...] Do any calendar filters replicate this RSVP business? [...]

I, too, would be grateful to know this.  Not because I support lock-in,
but because simplifying calendar invites/RSVPs should not be beyond the
means of free (as in freedom) software.  (Compatibility with proprietary
implementations should be a secondary concern.)  The key difficulty is
likely to be broken time zone implementations (see below).

In the meantime, you can just reply to the message (which, after all,
was sent as an email):  "Thanks, I accept your invitation to the meeting
at 5pm PDT on 5th May 2020."

N.B. I strongly suggest including the time, zone and date in your reply,
as above, because sometimes automated invites:

- use the wrong time zone for the event, AND
- do not specify the time zone that they are assuming!

> The only "http" links are for zoom.

Don't be shy about alerting those senders that they are sending you
links to malware.  Seriously.  See: https://gu.com/p/dtx4g

N.B. Even MS Outlook should not be sending Zoom links by default (not
because Micro$oft cares about giving you malware, but because Zoom is
non-Micro$oft).  So, those senders presumably installed or configured
something at their end that causes those links to be inserted.

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.