I am with djsdjsdjs on this one.   To my mind there is a significant
gap in the market between the MS Project project planning tool and
something that allows an individual to plan/sketch out  their work
over the next few weeks to a) put in place  reminders to do things and
b) get some sense of whether you are overloaded or not.   (If there is
anything out there that helps with this, then I would be delighted to
know)

I use MS Project quite a lot and it just doesn't work for this near
term planning.

MLO starting to get there,I think, in filling this gap.  I have
partially adopted some of the Pomodoro techniques and I am now
flagging major tasks as Key Tasks, allocating Pomodoro's to them (= 30
min chunks) - just by adding to the caption   eg [10]  = a 5 hour task
and allocating these to particular days in the future (using a
'Calendar' view which just shows Key Task).

What I would like is to be able to actually have a field which I can
enter this figure and to then have MLO add up the number of Pomodoro's
I have allocated to each day and show this as a total for each day so
that I can see the days that I have over/underloaded.

The ability to link tasks along the lines outlined by dj would then be
an added bonus so that if I have a series related tasks and I push
back the starting task,  it then pushes back all the following tasks
by the same amount.

For me, once you have linked the tasks,  you should be able to adjust
the lead/lag time simply by changing the date of the successor task.

MLO/GTD and all the other time management schemes that I have seen are
useful for helping you identify what you need to be doing next and
helping you focus on that but useless for helping you work out what
you can get done in the next two weeks (happy to be told otherwise).
The Pomodoro Technique does offer some helpful, lightweight ideas in
that area and I would very happy to see Andrey take MLO in that
direction because I think there would be a good market for such a
product.

PS: A true calendar view would also be very useful.