From: "Florian G. Pflug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 1:31 AM

> I think XML support should not be just "sending the respone of an
> SQL-Queries written in a weird way as an XML Document as another weird XML
> Document to the client".
>
> It should make the DB-Server into a hugh archive of structured data.
> One need to rething the concept of tables, fields, record for this...

Great idea - you go ahead with that, but not in MySql.

A long time a go a couple of guys called Boyce and Codd developed the
relational datamodel. It was a way of thinking data into structured entities
called tuples and attributes (also called tables and fields). At that time
it was a revolutionary idea, since it also gave way for things like
relational integrity, views and such. A new way of thinking in contrast to
file-based datamodels. One of the relational models strenghts were (and are)
speed. The downside was the rather rigid way of organizing data. But the
speed and flexibility when viewing and updating data outweighed the others.

Some years later, somebody invented the objectoriented theories. In the
early nineties OOA, OOD and OOP experienced a boom. That also resulted in
the development of objectoriented storage, known as OODB (objectoriented
databases). These were built from scratch, because the storage structure is
much more complex than the relational model can comply with. Some tried to
extend RDBMS' with OO capabilities but the results weren't good.

And THAT is my point. I agree with all the people on the list who believe we
should have a DBMS that can store data using the XML or SGML data model. But
don't build it on top of a technology that works on completely different
principles. Compare it with builing Windows95/98/Me on top of DOS. It may
look good but it isn't the Real Deal (WindowsNT or the like)

So start a new Open Source Project. Create a MyXML DBMS and do it from
scratch.

As a side note: OODBMS' haven't AFAIK been very popular in
industrial-strength data environments. The reason is performance - or rather
the lack of it. The data structures are simply too complicated to make fast
queries. I have the feeling the same

- Carsten