From: Florian G. Pflug [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 6:31 PM
To: Juergen Fey
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: XML support under mySQL

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:50:13PM +0100, Juergen Fey wrote:
> Adding XML support to mySQL is no big deal if your`re talking about very
> structured data sets like
>
> <Player>
>   <FirstName>Joe</FirstName>
>   <LastName>Montana</LastName>
>   <Average Team="49ers">not bad at all</Average>
> </Player>
>
> If you got to handle a lot of these, than its easy to write an external
XML
> I/O filter
> which even could handle the attributes. The result would be a simple flat
> Table.
>
> BUT .... if you`re talking unstructured  XML data like typical articles,
> where
> the schema or DTD defines some sort of flexible substructures (that`s what
> i am dealing with a lot) then the relational database model won`t work too
> good, since you would need either to generate one TABLE per article plus
> using generated acess code (beans etc.) or you would  have to link each
> elements content into specific tables ... costly if you got to retrieve
> stuff.

I think XML support should not be just "sending the respone of an
SQL-Queries written in a weird way as an XML Document as another weird XML
Document to the client".

It should make the DB-Server into a hugh archive of structured data.
One need to rething the concept of tables, fields, record for this...

Maybe one DB would just be one big XML-Document (of course stored not at a
plain text file, but somehow more sophisticated - and indexed of course),
and querieny would mean to look for a certain patters of tags...

Maybe a queried could look like this.

<invoice total > "18000">
<count min="15">
        <item>
        </item>
</count>
</invoice>

Meaning: look for invoices which a total price over 18000, and which have at
least 15 items.

Just my stupid ideas at 2:00 am in the morning.. but I think this would
certainly make some peoples lives easier.... ;-))

greetings, Florian Pflug