Hi,

Adding XML support to mySQL is no big deal if your`re talking about very
structured data sets like

<Player>
  <FirstName>Joe</FirstName>
  <LastName>Montana</LastName>
  <Average Team="49ers">not bad at all</Average>
</Player>

If you got to handle a lot of these, than its easy to write an external XML
I/O filter
which even could handle the attributes. The result would be a simple flat
Table.

BUT .... if you`re talking unstructured  XML data like typical articles,
where
the schema or DTD defines some sort of flexible substructures (that`s what
i am dealing with a lot) then the relational database model won`t work too
good, since you would need either to generate one TABLE per article plus
using generated acess code (beans etc.) or you would  have to link each
elements content into specific tables ... costly if you got to retrieve
stuff.

You could look at the Ozone database (search in freshmeat) to find a
solution.
Or just save the whole XML file either in your file system or a field in
your table.
Working with the content then would mean to load the XML content and parse
it
with a parser or XSLT or whatever.

Juergen

"don`t drive when you`re dead, tom waits"
         The box said "Win95 or better", so i installed Linux