On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Colin Faber wrote:
> Don't forget, Microsoft and Oracle are behind it so it _MUST_ be the
> greatest thing to come along since sliced bread. You folks need to keep
> in mind that with the microsoft system the XML layer IS NOT part of the
> database it self but an additional application which talks to the
> database via 'ODBC' so once again we have a situation where XML IS NOT
> and SHOULD NOT be part of the RDBMS, BUT is rather a middleware
> application to support users whom wish to use the XML system.

I wasn't going to get into this discussion, but I feel compelled by the
fact THAT IT'S STILL GOING ON.  :(p

Mysql is an RDBMS.  RDBMS's have certain nice properties.  You can make
cartesian products of different data sets and search across them using a
somewhat standardized query language, you can implement client
applications which request data from a centralized server, stuff like
that.  XML is a formal set of rules for adding meta-data tags to character
data.  The reason not to "add XML support to Mysql" is THAT THERE IS NO
CONNECTION BETWEEN THESE 2 CONCEPTS!  A relational database is one thing,
a set of valid XML documents is something completely different.

Sure, you can store XML documents in a database (or you can use semantic
tags to parse documents into fields for insertion into a table), or you
can wrap XML tags around the data from each field you're retrieving from a
database, but beyond this, I fail to see any connection between these 2
concepts beyond a lot of marketing blab which is completely meaningless.
The fact that Microsoft and Oracle are behind it should be a tip off to
put earplugs firmly in place in order to avoid wasting a lot of time
drowning in hype.

 The nationwide online survey by Ohio-based Progressive Insurance found
 that 45 percent of married Americans ranked their cars as the thing
 they considered most important to them.

 In answer to separate questions regarding their preferences, only 6
 percent rated their children as important and just 10 percent said their
 spouse or significant other was important to them, the survey said.

 The survey, conducted Jan. 5-15 and based on answers from 516
 respondents, found that 84 percent of Americans love their cars while
 32 percent have actually given their four-wheeled gas-guzzler a name.

 Seventeen percent of male participants planned to buy their vehicle
 a gift on Valentine's Day, the poll said.
   _    Patrick Goetz
 _| ~-. Dept. of Mathematics
 \, *_} The University of Texas at Austin        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   \(   Austin, Texas 78712-1084                 Phone:  (512) 232-2746
        http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/pgoetz