Hello,

I have a table design question relating to best practice and performance.
Monthy is somewhat of a SQL guru and so may be many others on this list,
this may actually help a lot of folks out there:

Example:

I want to get a listing of all applicable rates for a delivery:

a rate can be defined in three ways:
a. the entire state
b. for a certain area code
c. for a specific zip

to make things worth ideally I want to be able to say all of state="CA" is
$2, but areacode="714" is $1
and zip="92649" is $.50

the tables look like this right now
city(zip varchar(10),areacode varchar(10),state varchar(2),name varchar(30))
rate(zip varchar(10),areacode varchar(10),state varchar(2),decimal(10,2))

Data
rate('92647','','',.5)
rate('','714','',1)
rate('','','CA',2)

I was thinking of maybe using the same logic as for the permission system
inside of MySql with % or something as wildcards but left it empty sting for
now.  Which also leads me to another question as I would like to setup
permissions for various users to be able to maintain only certain rates.
This can be done on the application level.  I am wondering if I need to OR
should create a query in the application doing the various or conditions or
if there is a more elegant solution.

Note: I left out the NOT NULL and the index definition.

Martin Hubert
Freightgate - New Dimensions in e-Logistics (sm)
Visit us at http://www.freightgate.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +714.799.2833 Fax: +714.799.0100