On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:20:45 +0200
Jochem van Dieten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> SHOW TABLES does not make sense. How are you going to join the
> output of SHOW TABLES against the output of SHOW COLUMNS and SHOW
>
> SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES makes sense.
>

> And as for easy remembering: I prefer to remember just one standard,
> instead of the idiosyncracies of each product.

Yes, a queryable (sp?) set of dictionary tables/views would be nice for doing this.
The MySQL set of "SHOW" commands is pretty painful for any serious development.

Does PostgreSQL have a set of information schema tables to query against like Oracle
does (e.g. SELECT table_name FROM user_tables)?

I noticed this from a quick google search:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/orapgsqlviews/projdisplay.php

Is something similar planned for MySQL in the future?  Doesn't appear to be from:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Roadmap.html

Josh