Are you sure about that number? 1,000 queries per second is pretty high.
Assuming that 10k per second is correct, that translates to 36,000,000
queries per hour. That is quite a lot. BTW, what DB were you using before
and was its inability to handle your load a factor in your decision to
switch? Have you tried setting limitations on the number of concurrent
connections and such. Very possibly, your server is being completely
overwhelmed. Also, with that much activity, your database will soon grow
beyond your 10gb disk capacity.

If you could supply a little more information:

1. What web server and version are you using?
2. What threads library and version?
3. What OS and version?
4. What other applications might you have loaded on the system?
5. What version of MySQL are you using?
6. Which type of DB tables are you using? (MySQL supports a number of table
types).
7. Are you using binary distributions or did you compile from the source?
8. If compiled, which compiler and version did you use?
9. Are you using a server-side scripting language and if so what type and
version?

These basic questions need to get answered before moving forward.

Happy hunting....

Dean