William R. Mussatto wrote:
> Keith Ivey said:
>
>>William R. Mussatto wrote:
>>

>>>I've been googling for 1/2 hr w/o any answers.  sorry if I've missed
>>>the obvious.
>>>Problem. Fresh install of mysql 4.7.1, AS perl 5.8
>>>DBI and DBD-Mysql via ppm.
>>>Client does not support authnticaiton protocol
>>>

>>What version of MySQL were you using previously?  If it was 4.1.0 or
>>earlier, then this
>>might be useful reading:
>>
>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html
>>
>>--
>>Keith Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Washington, DC
>
> Thanks, I'll check it out.  I did the development under linux using
> 3.23.xx and perl 5.6 Basically debian stable.
>
> From the article it looks like I'll have to fall back to a 4.0 version.
>
> I was hoping, but using a clean install on the windows box to avoid these
> issues.
> I'll try  SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');

William,

You'll need a copy of DBD::MySQL that's linked with libmysql from 4.1 to
get around this issue (and use the new server-side prepared statements
as well). Patrick Galbraith (a MySQL engineer) has pushed the required
changes into the CVS repo of DBD::MySQL, however that hasn't been
released yet as a binary by the DBD::MySQL maintainer  (DBD::MySQL
version  2.9015)

> Thanks that worked, now to see what happends when I try w/connector/J

As long as you're using a recent version of Connector/J (3.0.15 or
3.1.4), it'll work fine.

Regards,

        -Mark

- --
Mark Matthews
MySQL AB, Software Development Manager - Client Connectivity
Office: +1 708 332 0507
www.mysql.com