Forget using drives all together for heavy hit applications.

Build data that can fit on a ram Drive (8GB) then your able to do 20K
qps.

For instance, have a main master that holds a majority of tables call it
MASTER. Then a sub master that holds the tables which you desire to run
out of memory, call it SUBMASTER. Each slave connected to SUBMASTER then
does a LOAD DATA FROM MASTER on startup based on

init_file=<path to the SQL file>

Defined in the my.cnf file

you have the ability to handle 20K qps on a single box (assuming the box
is a 4GB X86 Opteron with 2 processors and the main lookup is on a
primary key) and also have redundancy with real time replication.

For instance

I have 5 servers with 4 GB of ram - the table that displays user names
which is seen on friendster only takes 1.6 G of memory. All DB access is
real time producing 3000 qps during peak per server where one server can
handle the site, since that query type benchmarks for 20000 qps. More
then enough head room to scale since I can LB the reads across the 5
boxes. The front end will fall over before the backend - Easy cheap
solution that can handle a crap load of load.

DVP
----
Dathan Vance Pattishall     http://www.friendster.com