Brent Baisley wrote:

If you do go the new hardware route, I wouldn't go with SCSI is you only have $2K to spend. S-ATA2 based drives would give you similar performance to SCSI, but at a big cost savings. SCSI's big performance advantage was in command queueing which SATA2 drives now have.

Dell? No, I wouldn't buy Dell. Simply because they don't sell AMD based systems. The dual core AMD chips with the built-in memory controller are very nice.

I agree with the S-ATA2 recommendation. However, I have a large cluster of Dell Poweredge systems running Red Hat Linux, Apache, an application server and MySQL-Cluster and it performs flawlessly. And the performance is fantastic. We did demo several AMD-based systems and they just didn't seem to beat the Intel XEON's. We run mission critical apps and we feel that Dell was a wise choice for overall ROI. And with your budget, I'd definately strongly consider Dell.

Cory
SkyVantage Corporation