On 9/7/05, Brent Baisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As you've probably read in the article, the hardware isn't too bad,
> it's OS X that is slowing things down.

Interesting article. Helped me make my decision between OS X, and
Debian on our xServes. It appears bypassing the gui, and running a
straight console won't even help if the problem is with all the
wrappers.

> I would first go the free route. Download YellowDog Linux and install
> that on your current Mac hardware. That will give you a big boost
> when the load starts to climb. I've installed YellowDog on an old Mac
> (350Mhz) and it was pretty painless. If you can get around in the
> terminal on the Mac, you should do fine under Linux.

In addition to Yellow Dog. Lots of other distros offer ppc versions. I
use Debian, but Gentoo, Suse, and others offer them too.
I'd definitely try those first before forking out 2 grand. It's a good
time for Debian. Sarge was released not too long ago, so the stable
packages are no longer ancient, and installing mysql is as easy as
running
apt-get install mysql-server-4.1
Of course you might want to configure it some, but they provide decent
defaults. If you've ever used Fink on OS X, you might already be
familiar with apt-get.

--
Chris Martin
Web Developer